Friday, May 16, 2014

#FlashbackFriday : Vogue US April 1999

I had bought this magazine a few years back and never really gone through it. At the time, fashion was going through its Balmain-ia phase, and studded leather jackets were the costume de rigeur. Tank tops and iridescent ball gowns just didn't appeal to me at the time. Crazy how a few years can change in fashion but looking through this issue now, 1999 is as current as ever. 

Maggie Rizer and Kate Moss photographed by Steven Meisel in tank tops and taffeta skirts. Moment of silence for the sticky price tag. 
Gisele really was everywhere at this time. I much prefer this late nineties look to bombshell role she would play in the next decade. 1999 Ralph Lauren looks like a modern day hybrid of Celine and Calvin Klein. Loving the knit crop top. 
I don't know if I would have worn the pastel eyeshadows but I am totally behind the deep wine brown lipsticks.
I still to this day insist that brunette Kate Moss is the best Kate Moss. 
 
The party pages ... so velvet really was a thing. I love how effortlessly beautiful all of the women on the second page look, with the sleek hair and bronzed skin.  
I had to include this - remember when smoking ads were still everywhere in fashion magazines? Also, puppies!
I could see every one of these shifts and shirts making their way into my summer wardrobe. Cute guy wouldn't hurt either.
Cersei Lannister making an appearance. 
Simplified classics like denim capris and stream lined sneakers are all making a comeback at the moment ... really goes to show that fashion is a cycle. 
And if any of this didn't pique your interest, I'm sure Joseph Fiennes will!
xx, T

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring!
    XO
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete